LOVE WINS Painted Window Project

Alright y’all! By some sort of miracle I got all my work and chores done early this week which was perfect for a weekend of diy! I made this!

LOVE!!!

You may recall the list of projects that I’m aiming to accomplish in time for our wedding I mentioned a few weeks ago. The big day’s coming up quickly! June 15th. No? Here’s a refresher:

  • handmade garlands see them in all their glory here
  • a fancy fascinator.
  • Menu: Sunshine’s Sweet Almonds aka BRI’S NUTS
  • photo vignette

Moving right along, actually, the process was fairly straightforward. But it was definitely time-consuming. I started with this window that I found literally right across the street. It even already has string attached to both sides, so it’ll be easy to hang when the time comes.

before

It looked pretty gnarly to begin with. Look at it up close. Disgusting, no?! I used a scrub brush, a broom and a sponge on this thing!

gnarly

I didn’t really know what I was in for in terms of cleaning this window. Luckily I don’t naturally look at clocks so I have no idea how long it took.

After the initial dusting, the next step was cleaning the panes with glass cleaner. Then taping them off completely, front and back. Meticulously.

first pane is a pain

It’s important to get the absolute crispest edge you can while working around what is probably years of caked on paint.

paint caked grossness

One thing I love about do it yourself projects, no matter how simple, is that you get better the more you do. See the difference between these two? The more panes I covered, the more streamlined the process became and soon after I barely needed my razor for perfect edges.

streamlined

By the end I was hella profesh. After everything’s taped off I took a paint scraper and released as much of the chipping paint as possible. On a perfect day I probably would have done some sanding, too, but since the point is to be rustic, I let it be.

back and front

Next I primed and painted them a soft white. Nothing says wedding like white and since the goal is to hang this bad boy in a tree for people to take photos in front of, I had to do both sides. As the project stretched on into evening, I moved it inside and finished the paint-dry-paint-dry-paint process.

PAINTED

As usual, my indoors projects are overseen by princess Pokie on her high pillow of authority.

POKIE

I pulled up a good font and traced my letters on plain white paper. Easy. I taped each sheet on the opposite side of the appropriate pane and then painted my letters loosely based on them. For the paint itself, I mixed a medium bodied flat white with a soft-bodied iridescent white [both from Utrecht] which makes for a milky effect that stands out just a bit when compared to the soft white outer lining.

lettering

This allowed me to achieve the handmade-but-still-well-made look I was going for. Voila!

<3

See?! Who says you need to spend a bunch of money on props and decoration for a wedding? Not I, said the Sunshine.

LOVE WINS

Yay! Love wins, indeed!

Sunshine

Lace Plates and Girl Time Funs

Ack! I begin college in less than a month and have challenged myself to complete all these back-burner projects that’ve been plaguing me this past year. Today is lace plates with the amazing Jeri Mack! Jeri is an expert in all things sweet and stylish. She decorates cakes, fashions jewelry, takes breathtaking photographs (so good you don’t wanna call them pictures), and she’s a first-class hugger. Did I mention she’s gorgeous? She’s gorgeous. (Don’t get too excited. She’s married to Super Plaid’s beat-layer, Jesse.) Oh, and Jeri’s got a blog, too!

We found this idea in the Big-Ass Book of Crafts and decided to make it happen.

Supplies: clean glass plates, spray adhesive, several colors of spray paint as well as a clear coat, a few fat quarters of lace, and undying enthusiasm!

 

affix your lace with spray adhesive and tuck under. if you're patient you can cut it down

add some spray paint (in a well ventilated area)

 

remove lace and spray with background color

 

add several layers of clear coat, then let dry and voila!

 

even the next morning they were a bit sticky. give em plenty of time to dry

Many thanks to Jeri Mack for company and inspiration, as always.